Background Checks By Need: Criminal Record Checks
PROTECT YOUR ORGANISATION, YOUR PEOPLE, AND YOUR PROPERTYA Criminal Record Check is a crucial step towards a comprehensive employee screening programme for many organisations. SterlingBackcheck is committed to providing a high-quality, innovative service to help those organisations to make faster and smarter hiring decisions.
A ROBUST AND RELIABLE CRIMINAL RECORD SEARCHAs a registered body and agent of the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) formerly CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) and ISA (Independent Safe Guarding Authority), Disclosure Scotland and AccessNI, SterlingBackcheck is perfectly positioned to offer the appropriate level of Criminal Record Check for any employment position.
Our dedicated team of experts will assist in determining the correct level of Disclosure for your candidates (Basic, Standard or Enhanced), and will help to ensure the application is submitted along with all accompanying documentation, minimising delays in processing.
INDUSTRY LEADING PROCESSES WHICH DELIVER WORLD CLASS RESULTS
- Online results delivery in real time - our technology is highly secure and easy to use.
- Best practices advice when you need it – our criminology experts are available to discuss the convictions that we uncover.
- Customised implementation – our experienced team of client care coordinators will work with you to design a programme that is efficient and effective for your organisation.
TYPES OF CRIMINAL RECORD CHECKS
There are three levels of Criminal Record Checks available in the UK – a Basic Disclosure, a Standard Disclosure and an Enhanced Disclosure.
1. Basic Disclosure:This level of criminal record check searches the Police National Computer for convictions which are not spent under the terms of the ROA. It discloses all such convictions, or states that there are none.
As it discloses only unspent convictions, a Basic Disclosure is available to any individual applying for, or already employed in, any position. For this reason, it is the most commonly ordered disclosure and is suitable for all industries and levels of candidates.
The typical turnaround time for a Basic Disclosure is 5-10 business days, although this can vary depending on the provider’s service levels.
2. Standard Disclosure:This level of criminal record check discloses details of all spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings on the Police National Computer (PNC).
In order to submit a DBS (previously CRB & ISA) application for a Standard check, an individual must meet certain eligibility criteria. A guide to eligibility for criminal record checks can be found here.
The typical turnaround time for a Standard Disclosure is 5-10 business days, although this can vary depending on the provider’s service levels.
3. Enhanced Disclosure:This level of criminal record check discloses details of all spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings on the Police National Computer (PNC). An Enhanced Disclosure may contain non-conviction local police force information.
Based on address history provided by the candidate, the disclosure request is sent to the Chief Constable or Chief Officer in the appropriate location. The Chief can choose to add any non-conviction information (e.g. suspicions) if they feel it relevant to the position applied for. Depending on the position applied for, an Enhanced Disclosure will also check the relevant ISA barred lists to ensure the individual is not barred from working with children and/or vulnerable adults.
In order to submit a DBS (previously CRB & ISA) application for a Standard check, an individual must meet certain eligibility criteria.
The typical turnaround time for an Enhanced Disclosure is 4-6 weeks, although this can vary depending on the provider’s service volume levels.
INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL RECORD SEARCHESSterlingBackcheck is able to provide international Criminal Record Searches, where available and legally compliant. The process, turnaround time and cost will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. For more information on International Criminal Records checks please contact us.